Girl in Pieces
Author: Kathleen Glasgow
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Published: August 30th, 2016
Pages: 416
My Rating: ★★★★
Charlotte Davis is in pieces. At seventeen she’s already lost more than most people lose in a lifetime. But she’s learned how to forget. The broken glass washes away the sorrow until there is nothing but calm. You don’t have to think about your father and the river. Your best friend, who is gone forever. Or your mother, who has nothing left to give you. Every new scar hardens Charlie’s heart just a little more, yet it still hurts so much. It hurts enough to not care anymore, which is sometimes what has to happen before you can find your way back from the edge.
A girl with a troubled past that is finding herself and learning how to move on.
Oh Charlie why must you keep making the same old mistakes and paying for them? With this novel, there were so many times I wanted to scream at the main character to make better decisions because I saw so much of myself in her. I wanted to take Charlie underneath my wing and show her the beauty of recovery. But so much of recovery is getting out of the rut of doing the same thing over and over again. After all, that is the definition of insanity and I felt like at times the novel was very stagnant.

In recovery, you have to make an active choice to do something different no matter how hard it may be. You have to eliminate all toxic people out of your life and I felt like Charlie never got that or truly progressed. This was not a mental illness book I was thinking it was going to be. Perhaps, if I didn't struggle as much myself maybe I would have liked this novel more I don't know but for the most part, I was just flat out angry at all the characters. There was no real "healthy" person at all in this book which I found to be sort of unrealistic.

I did participate in a live show talking about this novel with some other lovely ladies on booktube/bookstagram. I did post the video to this blog if you want a more in-depth talk about my thoughts. For that reason, I am not gonna get into too much detail here. Go check it out if you are interested in picking up this novel. I keep going back and forth on giving this book a 3.5-4 star. The author's story is the only reason why I would give it a 4. You will have to decide for yourself what rating you would give it.

Book Depository


Kathleen Glasgow is the author of the New York Times bestseller Girl in Pieces (also a Target Book Club pick--seriously!). Proud faulty robot. Visit her on Twitter (@kathglasgow), Instagram (misskathleenglasgow), or her website (www.kathleenglasgowbooks.com).